A Next-Generation Firewall (NGFW) is an integrated network platform that combines a traditional firewall with application specific granular controls to help them detect application specific attacks. They help detect attacks through application specific protocols such as HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP and so on. It also incorporates various network device filtering functionalities such as an intrusion prevention system (IPS), Web filtering and Email security. They also features functionalities such as centralized management, SSL interception, VPN’s, Virtualized deployment, QoS/bandwidth management, Gateway antivirus and Third-party integration (i.e. Active Directory).
Key Use cases:
- Safely enable all required applications on Enterprise Networks: Help detect attacks against through enterprise applications. Enforce application functionality specific controls, monitor application data & content, monitor HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP and other application protocols for better protection
- Need protection against known and unknown threats, irrespective of the applications used to transport the threats: It allows very granular controls for network applications. With its deep packet inspection capabilities and state-full inspection of applications in real-time, NGFW provides robust defence against known and unknown threats against your web applications.
- Need to have comprehensive visibility into users, Hosts, applications and content on enterprise networks: Audit applications running on your enterprise networks, monitor their content and data, identify Hosts on which applications are running, identify users of the applications.
- You need a single Network filtering appliance which can do it all. For example, Firewall, IPS, Web filtering, Gateway Antivirus, Email filtering (Limited) etc. : A NGFW has all firewall, IPS/IDS, NAC, Gateway antivirus, Email filtering and so on. A single solution for multiple use cases.
- Need a Network security platform which can deliver high performance and offer integration with other security controls in your network such as, Cloud sandboxing, Threat Intel feeds, SIEM etc. : Highly scalable and integrated solution. It has the capability to ingest threat intel feeds for real-time blocking and can be tightly integrated with Sandboxing or any advance malware protection solution, CASB solution and so on.
Do let me know if you want us to add or modify any of the listed key use cases.
Check out the Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) market within Product comparison platform to get more information on these markets.