- Before talking about the top 5 vendors providing DNS Security (Domain Name System Security), let us first fully understand what DNS Security does and if security is not implemented how can it be harmful.
What is DNS (Domain Name System)?
- DNS (Domain Name System) is the most important part of Internet. When entering any website’s address (e.g. www.cisoplatform.com- easy to remember), the address is converted into machine readable numbers i.e. IP Address (e.g. 64.383.372.190 – not easy to remember). Thus, DNS converts the human-readable address into machine-readable IP Address. ICANN manages the DNS Root Servers.
What can an attacker do?
- Hackers found some weakness in DNS which can allow attackers to create a fake DNS records. These fake records can trick users to visit fake websites, downloading malicious files and software’s. Attacker can gain the control and redirect the domain name to another or fake domain.
Types of Attack:
- DNS Cache Poisoning and Spoofing, Dos, DDos, IoT botnet DDos, DNS amplification, Fast-flux DNS, NXDOMAIN flood, Slow drip, TCP SYN flood, Domain brute Force, Reverse lookup, Zone Transfer, Zone walking
- Brand Damage: Imagine the mess that will happen in the company when your employees and/or customers are not able to access your website due to an attack.
- Imagine if online banking system was corrupted.
- Financial Loss: Imagine if your company’s payment site is redirecting to fake site and payment is made in that site.
- Implement DNS Security.
Below are the Top 5 Vendors providing DNS Security: –
- Infoblox security products enable you to mitigate security challenges that arise from DNS-based threats. Their DNS solutions combine automation, centralized reporting and policy management, enhanced visibility, and unique actionable intelligence drawn from the data residing in the core of your network.
- Product: DNS Traffic Control, DNS Firewall, Advance DNS Protection
- Nominum provides DNS-based security and services innovation. The Silicon Valley company provides an integrated suite of carrier-grade DNS-based solutions that enable fixed and mobile operators to protect and enhance their networks, strengthen security for business and residential subscribers and offer innovative value-added services that can be monetized. Nominum deliver a safe, customizable internet and promote greater value to over half a billion users.
- EfficientIP solutions offer a specialized layer of in-depth-defense to fill the gaps left by traditional security systems. Their 360° DNS Security provides a holistic approach to protect public and private DNS infrastructures from both internal and external DNS threats, regardless of the attack type. The 360° DNS Security solution is comprised of five products, which work together (or as standalone offerings) for a more reliable and secure network.
- Product: DNS Blast, DNS Guardian, DNS Cloud
- BlueCat DNS ensures your critical network infrastructure and business-critical core services are reliable, resilient and highly available and that no configuration change can cause an outage or leave stale or inconsistent DNS records. It delivers scalable, resilient and highly available DNS services across the enterprise, with the flexibility to deploy in high-throughput, centralized architectures, or fully distributed environments with thousands of service delivery points.
- Product: BlueCat DNS Integrity, BlueCat DNS Edge
- Cisco Umbrella provides the first line of defense against threats on the internet. As Umbrella is delivered from the cloud, it is the easiest way to protect all of your users in minutes. Cisco Umbrella uses the internet’s infrastructure to block malicious destinations before a connection is ever established. By delivering security from the cloud, not only do you save money, but we also provide more effective security.
- Product: Cisco Umbrella