The cybersecurity field is dynamic and the roles and responsibilities are ever changing. People coming into the cybersecurity field often expect clearly defined positions and are surprised at the significant variance when looking at job descriptions or talking with professionals.
It is a chaotic and confusing mess. But, if you are interested, there are several good resources to begin deciphering the basic categories and breadth of roles. There are even resources for those seeking more depth to understand the abilities, knowledge, skills, and capability indicators.
Here are the links I showcase in the video:
- Cyberseek https://www.cyberseek.org/pathway.html
- CyberSN https://www.cybersn.com/cybersecurity-job-categories
- NIST NICE (National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education) https://www.nist.gov/itl/applied-cybersecurity/nice
- NIST Special Publication 800-181 Workforce Framework for Cybersecurity (NICE Framework) https://csrc.nist.gov/publications/detail/sp/800-181/rev-1/final
- NICCS National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies https://niccs.cisa.gov/workforce-development/cyber-security-workforce-framework/workroles
If you like these updates, click the Like button and be sure to subscribe to the Cybersecurity Insights channel for more rants, news, and perspectives.